Sunday, July 27, 2014

Rolly Pollies, Pickling, Beer, Bugs, Science!

The cucumbers picked up the pace in a big way a few weeks ago. Their progress has kind of waned now. With the first big harvest, I had ten in one day. I gave away most of them at work because there were just too many of them. A lot of my co-workers eat salad for lunch everyday so I had a feeling it would be a welcome gift. I was so grateful to get them off my hands. I hate letting garden stuff go bad, there is an extra sting to it (though, due to the bokashi it isn't as wasteful as it could be!). We have been eating a lot of cucumber salads. I have had to get kind of creative recently to use up the stuff from the garden. I added some garden basil and jalapenos to the normal vinegar salad dressing I used on the cucumbers, that went well. Also, I realized basil is used in a lot of Asian dishes I like so I have been adding it to stir fries and stuff with some success. Jalapenos and basil make quite the combo.

The rolly pollies are getting to everything. I keep finding them munching on my cantaloupes. I cover the cantaloupes in soapy water and practically make a pile of DE (diatomaceous earth) for them to sit in, but that only lasts so long. Now they have encroached on my cucumbers too. It is the worst. They just eat away at the outside. I can cut off the skin and it is fine but everything just looks more haggard when rolly pollies have been busy etching away at them all day. I got the cucumber plant really tangled too, trying to redirect the vines. Some of the leaves near the really jumped parts are kind of fried. Next time I will figure out how to tame it better. The heat hasn't been too bad though, compared to what I had expected for this summer. And, we had some serious rain again so I think things will be okay for a while.

I have done some pickling. First just okra with a jalapeno from the garden (that's the other thing, the jalapenos have been MIA for some reason, since the first initial handful over a month ago).  Then a friend reminded me I can pickle the green beans too, so I threw in the last big harvest from them, a bunch of cucumbers, and okra into one jar with spices and onion and garlic. So there is a huge jar of garden goodness marinating at home.




We picked another watermelon. I read that one way to know if it is ready to harvest is if the nearest tendril to the fruit is dried up. The one I picked had a tendril that was partially dry, and because I was anxious to pick one and someone, somewhere online posted one of those critical sounding statements like "be careful not to wait too long or it will spoil," I went ahead and picked it. It wasn't ready. It was a little more pink this time, but they are supposed to be very red inside. I still have about 4 more goes at this, so I am not too worried. The cantaloupes are getting bigger. One kind of split open a little bit. I am not sure how that happened, just one day it had a tear in the rind. It started to turn black and rot so I cut it up for the bokashi but the inside looked real nice, like a normal cantaloupe, so that's promising!

I did try one cool thing that worked really well for the pill bugs. I scattered little plates with beer in them around  the garden, basically where ever the pill bugs were causing problems. The next day there were rolly pollies floating in all of them. And I got to finish off a lone star, which is always nice. I am pretty excited this method worked out. 



Since there isn't really much development in how the plants look, I wanted to post some pictures of the bugs and things I am finding in the garden. The cucumber plant has become home to a lot of things: lady bugs, spiders, a lizard. I think the lizard is an Anole.  And there are bees and hornets buzzing around everywhere. This is a good sign for the plants I am sure, but it makes garden care a little more treacherous. 

I just found out this is probably a pest: a cucumber beetle. Well, that explains some things.
Fire fly looking things that are always on the okra plant.
Lady Bug 
Anole!
Hornet
Also, I figured I would post some of the neat plant related science stuff I have come across...

I heard this cool story on the radio about plants having memory and being able to recognize predators through the vibrations on their leaves:


And then, on the topic of plants sort of "hearing," this episode on the PBS Nature series is about plants "talking" to one another. It has a part on Hornworns too! That was the grub that ate my bell pepper plant. It is neat, there is this weird conundrum with hornworms. Hornworms are common pests for tobacco plants, but the moth that lays the hornworms, once it emerges, also pollinates the plant. The whole thing is fascinating. It seems like science fiction- plants making choices and being able to discern between things, but it is not! It is so real! Also, it never dawned on me that till recently, everything that happened underground was a big mystery. Now we have the technology to see what is happening. I didn't know that root systems make up 80% of most plants. It's nuts! With all this new technology, some fundamental ideas we have about how things work and why they do what they do, are being totally turned around. It is all very exciting. Here's the link:


A couple weeks ago I planted some shallots per my step mom's suggestion. You literally just put them in the ground and water them.  I spaced them out along the edge of one side of the garden. I even forgot to water them some days, before I rearranged the drip hose, and they are still doing fine. Low maintenance, prolific plants are definitely a thumbs up in my book.




I am thinking that in August I will start planting things for the fall. Probably by then most of the current plants will be petering out. I will be starting school shortly after but it seems silly to wait nine months or so to do this gardening thing again, especially after putting so much effort into it and getting a lot in return. I think it'll work out, it has become kind of an obsession, which I am happy to have at the moment. I think it has helped keep me grounded (no pun intended, ha), and served as a much needed reminder that there are still things I can get excited about and interested in. And the things are pretty simple too, which is comforting, like spotting a weird bug or watching a watermelon slowly ripen. Also, a part of me really likes always having a problem to trouble shoot. I have always been kind of crafty, but I see now there is something energizing about spotting a problem and then making it a mission to figure out what it is and solve it, or to at least give it a valiant effort. I think that is it, it is nice to have a mission. Especially one that involves wearing your worn out clothes and digging around in the dirt. I just hadn't really done this type of stuff in while, working outside and examining bugs, not since I was a kid. I forgot I enjoyed it. I will be beginning school soon, so the garden project will have to be juggled with other things, but I think it is worth a try since we've made it this far. Thank the universe for water timers!

Also, the plant that was decimated by the hornworm has been making a great recovery. It pretty quickly started sprouting new leaves and branches. It may even look a little better than before. Go figure.



No comments:

Post a Comment